Sunday, March 7, 2010

Benji


Friday night I took Benjamin to the ER because he was having complications from RSV. Throughout the night, his breathing became more and more labored. His need for oxygen became greater and greater. By early morning, they transferred us to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Primary Children's Hospital, and a few hours later Benjamin had total respiratory failure. They have since had to intubate him and he relies solely on a ventilator for breathing. Everything happened so quickly that I was not sure what was going on, but later on Tyler and I had a horrifying realization of just how sick our little guy is. We are grateful that I was prompted to take Benji to the ER because the medical team was able to quickly take care of his deteriorating state.

Now he is still on the ventilator, stable, and diagnosed with RSV Pneumonia. He has a lot of mucus in his lungs and he is just to little to cough it all out. On top of that he has developed a super infection (super meaning on top of the virus he already has) and is fighting a bacterial infection now too.

Please keep Benjamin in your prayers. We love this little boy so much and anyone who knows him knows he already has such a sweet and gentle spirit. Thank you to everyone who is fasting and praying for him now. We love our family and friends so much!

Wilson, by the way is doing fine. He too had a viral infection and heavy cough, but he has recovered to his fully mischievous self. I think he misses his Benji.

It is funny how I call him Benji. Lindsie said she would call him that and I was horrified! Benji is a dog's name! But now all I call him is Benji.

6 comments:

Nichole Brown said...

Poor little guy. I hate it when kids get sick, it's not fair, they are too tiny and helpless. Benji sound like such a tough kid and I am sure we will fight his way through this sickness. I can't imagine what you and Tyler are going through. Just know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers today. I love you so much Megs and although I still haven't met your boys, I love them too. You are such a sweet mom. Stay strong, let's know if there I any way I can help

marciea casselman said...

I am so sorry that your little baby is so sick. The illnesses that are going around right now are so bad. I can't imagine how Benji has so much mucus and can't cough it out because I have had so much in my lungs and all I do is cough.
I'll pray for him and your family.

Brownbellies said...

That is such a CUTE picture of him!!! I seriously love him so much. I pray that he gets better fast. I miss him. You are an amazing family!! LOVE YOU!!

The Payne Family said...

Oh I am so very sorry. That is so scary. I just finished rotations up at primary's and seriously, the whole hospital is full of sick little babies with RSV. It is so sad. We will definitely keep little Benji in our prayers. Hopefully he will make a fast recovery. Keep us up to date on his condition.

Brooklyn and Dave said...

Hey megan, we will definitely keep you ty and benji in our prayers. Please let me know if you need anything! The ward is here:)

Wilson Family said...

I really am so sorry to hear about his...that is so scary...We went through RSV and Pnemonia a month ago but our little guy was not so little. I hope that he recovers soon and you can all be back to normal