Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oh, Teacher!

This year I was awarded a Teaching Assistantship from the Writing Department at the University of Utah. I taught two semesters of freshman composition (Writing 2010). I was really excited for the appointment because it is very competitive for MA students to receive a TA post, and it covered my tuition as well as paying me a stipend. I was also excited for the resume boost and of course the opportunity to actually teach. This became the main source of contention in my life (see my latest post). It was A LOT of work. A LOT of time away from my family. A LOT of stress. In my second semester, I taught two classes, was taking two graduate seminars, as well as had to take my MA exams to receive my degree. I also panicked because I thought for a long time that I didn't even like teaching. Seven years into a degree that is only worth something so long as I teach. It turns out it is Rhet/Comp that I don't love to teach. Best stick with Literature. Looking back, I'm glad to have the experience and I know it will help me in my future career endeavors, but it was a rough year, for sure! Plus dirty freshmen kept getting me sick!

No comments: