Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We Sure Are Cute for Two Ugly People





Well this week the heat has been turned on here in Madrid! It has been so hot and I think the worst part for me is that our apartment doesn't have air conditioning so in order to stay cool we have to keep it dark during the day and open all the windows at night. Tyler is not a fan of opening the windows at night because of the bugs that come in. For me I would chose bugs over the heat any day, but Tyler doesn't concur. I think my favorite moment thus far was when we had a huge moth in our room for a couple of nights. It was driving Tyler insane and the fluttering of it was making me crazy too. So finally on the second or third night of this annoying moth, Tyler took action. Sometimes Tyler goes to bed earlier than I do and so he wears this really cute sleeping mask over his eyes. He hadn't fallen asleep quite yet and I told him the moth was out(it would go above our dresser where neither of us could get it and Tyler wanted me to tell him when it came out). He was mad and got up and moved the sleeping mask to his forehead. I said "Ty, I can get it, you go back to bed" and with total seriousness wearing only his garments and the blue shiny sleeping mask crooked across his forehead, he said "No Megan, this is a man's job" I was laughing so hard and wanted to take a picture but Tyler wouldn't let me. It was just one of those moments. 
I am having a lot of fun learning about Tyler's personality. He is...picky isn't the right word...peculiar doesn't quite fit either...but he is so exact. For Ty, everything in the world has to follow a certain order otherwise the world simply cannot continue revolving. He makes me laugh when he says things like "That movie was good, but a little crude" or when he is finished washing dishes he goes into the bathroom to wash his hands to get the "spongy" smell off. I think my favorite thing is at night when he has his hearing aides out and tries to carry on conversations with me. Most of the time he just talks like he is talking to himself and I just happen to be there listening. I am sure Tyler has a list of things for me too...but luckily he is too nice to expose me for what I truly am.
So this week was good for us. Like I said, it is HOT here in Madrid. The week went by quickly. I went to the National Library one afternoon and Tyler and I went to the Prado one evening. The Prado is sort of the Louvre of Madrid. The major event of the week was the wedding of Max and Sandra. Max is the son of the lady we rent our room from and he is always super nice to us. I wanted to get him a copy of the proclamation to the family in spanish for a wedding present but like Paris, the distribution center by the temple hates me. I went there THREE different times on THREE different days and it was never opened. I made sure that I went when the posted hours said it would be open and nada...nothing. So maybe this week I will be able to go there even though there wedding is already over.
Max and Sandra's wedding was awesome! They weren't married in the temple, but they plan to be sealed in the temple in Ecuador next year. (Max is from Ecuador). They were married in a courthouse outside of Madrid and they had "the best wedding ever" according to Tyler. Don't take his word for it though because he says that about every wedding he likes. The wedding was quite the international affair. We were driven to the Spanish wedding in a French car, by a Romanian friend of Zuela's, who is married to a girl from Ecuador and were seated at the wedding dinner by a Venezuelan and a Columbian and my favorite part was the all you can drink American soda! What a party it was! First there were cocktails (no alcohol) and appetizers and gosh they were good! I kept eating them that by the time dinner was supposed to start I was almost full. Dinner was a full five course meal (which Tyler ate like he had never ate before--he loved it!). Our table had all members of the church and even though Max and Sandra are also members, they did serve alcohol for their guests at dinner. It was funny that whenever a drink was brought out, the entire table had a debate over whether it was alcoholic or not. The waitress would say no and then the waiter would say yes and then the bottle would be examined we all would agree that it didn't have alcohol until someone would try it and confirm that it did. We finally just stuck to our grape juice and water. Finally at 12:45am the dancing began. We got home at 3 in the morning! It was a fun night and we were glad to be apart of the event.
On Sunday we dragged ourselves out of bed to go and visit Elder Ott's ward. Elder Ott is in Tyler's parents ward and is serving here in Madrid. We got there at 10am only to find out that Elder Ott's ward starts at 12:00. No problem, we will just hang out for two hours feeling like we are hung over from the previous night...not really! We did get to see Elder Ott for a few minutes but he had a family of investigators there with him that day and he was really busy. So we went home after church and crashed for a few hours. So that brings us to the end of another week. This weekend we are going to Malaga for a beach vacation. 
Welcome home Jackson! Tyler is really excited to meet you! Hope you all are great. We love you and miss you!

3 comments:

Robbie said...

I totally feel your pain about the heat vs. bugs thing. Its a tough one. It reminds me of two things:
One is the giant mosquitos of death that attacked us in China- I had to sleep with head phones and music on to drown out the buzzing it was so loud.
Second, Robbie and I had a HUGE bee that attacked us in Russia (after you guys left). It was like bigger than my thumb. It was mutant. I'm not even kidding.

Brittney said...

More adventures! That's so fun. We miss you guys ... not much going on here. We did go to Lake Powell last week so that was fun.

Anonymous said...

ah - the early days of marriage. Its good you are writing those cute things you like about each other down, because sooner or later you just get more busy or more married - and you forget to notice those things. Glad you are having fun. I have found that sometimes the funniest stories come from the hardest things. Your story about Tyler doing the mans job is so cute.